My kumare, the Fabulousest diva of all divas, Malu Fernandez--because we are so close--sent me this letter as her official statement on the countless flak and insults and threats she received after writing From Boracay to Greece and calling overseas Filipino workers stinky axe-perfumed Filipino migrant workers.

I am humbled by the vehement and heated response provoked by my article entitled 'From Boracay to Greece!' which came out in the June 2007 issue of People Asia. To say that this article was not meant to malign,hurt or express prejudice against the OFWs now sounds hollow after reading through all the blogs from Filipinos all over the world. I am deeply apologetic for my insensitivity and the offensive manner in which this article was written, I hear you all and I am properly rebuked. It was truly not my intention to malign hurt or express prejudice against OFWs.

As the recent recipient and target of death threats, hate blogs, and deeply personal insults, I now truly understand the insidiousness of discrimination and prejudice disguised as humor. Our society is bound together by human chains of kindness and decency. I have failed to observe this and I am now reaping the consequences of my actions. It is my fervent hope that the lessons that I've learned are not lost on all those who through anonymous blogs, engaged in bigotry, discrimination, and hatred ( against overweight individuals, for example).

I take full responsibility for my actions and my friends and family have nothing to do with this. To date I have submitted my resignation letters to both the Manila Standard and People Asia, on that note may this matter be laid to rest.

5 comments:

tin-tin said...

napanood ko nga sa tv na nagsorry na siya at nagresign nga daw

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

There goes her 15 seconds of fame. =(

Any given madness said...

she brought it on herself. she doesn't deserve to be a writer. i don't feel pity for her.

Winter said...

gikaya niya na?? ehehehe nabalitaan nako na xa sa tv patrol.. eheheh ngano bitaw naga discriminate, di pa xa mupareha anang aids.. dili mudiscriminate.. :P

chase / chubz said...

boohoo.. ibalik xa sa putikan kung saan xa pinulot ng manila standard.